Friday, July 18, 2014

Fruits and Vegetables in Asia



Before spending 4.5 days in Kunming China, I also spent five days in Thailand, and during both trips, I saw no American-style grocery stores. I'll clarify - I saw one grocery store in Hua Hin Thailand, but it wasn't what we Americans think of as a "grocery store." Instead, it was solely stocked with specialty items such as bakery goods, chocolate and candy, alcohol, ice cream, etc. Day-to-day grains, vegetables and fruits were not found because they are commonly sold on the streets. In both countries, citizens do not buy one to two weeks worth of groceries like we do in America, instead they buy one to two days worth of ingredients when needed. This got my thinking - is this why America has a diabetes and obesity problem? I'm just throwing that out there. 

No comments: