Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Soul Food and Barbecue


Jan 5 2010
Originally uploaded by Inkyhack

This is one of two "soul food" restaurants I have come across lately. I'm not a food expert, but it's my understanding that "soul food" is actually a modification of the "slave food" that used to be served to African-Americans - lots of fried foods, pork, collard greens, beans and rice. I know there have been a number of African-American activists who have recently protested the glorification of Soul Food, claiming it's terribly unhealthy for folks, including an entire episode of "The Boondocks" where grandpa opens a "Soul Food" restaurant and most of his customers develop extreme obesity and heart problems.

What strikes me is this place is a combination of "soul food" and "BBQ," which traditionally is seen as southern white folks food, the very folks who forced this unhealthy food on the slaves in the first place.

It's just a notion that passed by when I first discovered this place.

By the way, the locals say the food at this restaurant is very good.

No comments: