Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Dork Report

The Dork Report covers the issue of Chinese and Japanese characters being used as tattoos or showing up on American t-shirts. It's an interesting take on the trend. What I find most interesting is the concept of "consuming culture" or making it into a commodity. While I guess that's one way to look at it, I would like to think that it's more of a sign of cultures blending into each other and adapting traits from one another.
I guess if you really took his column to the extreme - the idea that one culture should not adopt another culture because it "trivializes it - then I guess you also could easily end up supporting segregation and seperatism in an effort to "preserve cultures." Not sure if that's the road he intends, but it could easily end up there.

No comments: